Friday 24 August 2012

Tuska Sprint Tri Race Report


I had decided to enter the Tuska sprint triathlon 7-10 days before the race as I had not raced all season and was in need of some practice and race simulation. I was not worried about times or speed I just wanted to put in a good performance in all areas, with no real aspirations for the run, as I did not wish to aggravate my injury.

Race morning

Alarm was off at 4:55am, good grief, why?!?!?!?! Anyway, up and at em, porridge, coffee, wake the hell up! My lift arrived at 6am sharp and myself and Phil headed up fairly early to get there in plenty of time to rack our bikes, suss out the transition area and ensure we were prepared. We racked our bikes, had a nose around, got our wetsuits on and waited for the start. The sea looked nice and calm, there was no wind at all, which was nice.
We headed down the slip and waited for the gun to start the swim. I started fairly close to the front of the pack, but still with plenty of space, I had worked on my swimming so wanted to put in a good swim. 
Within the first 250m I was sandwiched and clattered by two swimmers who clattered me, I got pissed off and swam around them, in my head I was now resigned to ‘’having a bad swim, but make it up on the bike’’. Phil had now disappeared, but as I plodded onward making up some ground and finding some feet to draft, I was amazed to see him right next to me. I immediately thought ‘’either he is having an awful swim or Im doing a lot better than I planned’’ as he is a good swimmer. Anyway, the rest was uneventful, and we exited the water together in 14.52, probably a PB. I then legged it into T1, ripped the wetsuit off, donned the helmet and race number and I was off, T1 done in 1:06, bit annoyed but I felt good. 
I pushed on the bike within the first 2km and felt my legs had nothing to give, but soon warmed up after 5km. The course is mostly flat with a few long type drags, but no real sharp climbs that stop your rhythm. I was passing some riders and being passed myself, only to reel them back in on the drags. I definitely regret the decision to not use tri bars all year (I have since put them one for 100mile rides and will use them at Ironman Wales) and in this race as felt I could have got in to a better rhythm and saved valuable seconds over the 22km course. Before I knew it we were coming in to the finishing straight, so for only the second time ever I took feet out of my tri shoes whilst on the bike which worked quite well, dismounted the bike and headed into T2 in 40:20, again, very happy but know I could have gone harder and quicker. 
As I had not done a lot of running and not wanting to aggravate my hip flexor and knee injury, I decided to take it easy on the run. I slipped off the helmet, grabbed the Garmin 305, slipped into my trainers (no socks and elastic laces – again, not done in training and worked well), and off I went. 
To my astonishment I flew out of T1 with no heavy legged feeling or jelly legs, the support was amazing and I was hitting 3:55/km-4:05/km with ease. However sense took over and after the first 1km I slowed the pace and immediately got a stitch, so in my head I thought ‘’just get around in 23mins, that’ll do’’. 
My pace slowed to 4:35-4:45/km, which I was happy with, I reached the turnaround point, got into a rhythm again and felt very good so thought I would push on, coming down the final 1km fairly fast and finishing quickly to the roar of the crowd and cow bells ringing in a very pleasing 20:21, another tri PB!!!!! 
And that was taking it easy J hence my pleasure!

Overall, 69th place, 39th category 1:17 - splits of 14:52 / 40:20 / 20:21.

Great race and great support!

I then went home and entered for Llanelli Olympic tri 1500m/40km/10km to get some more practice in and use it as my last hard swim/bike before Ironman Wales. This time with the run, I will 100% take it easy.

The next day (another sodding early start, alarm at 6:15, rain was tempting to stop the ride but we set of at 9:30 instead once it passed) myself and Phil headed out on the last big ride before Wales, 102miles up Bwlch, Rhigos and Betws. Was an amazing route that was completely new to me. long climbs and long flats so pushed quite hard on the tri bars on flats. Im so glad I did it,102 miles (165km) in 6:46. It filled me with confidence and I felt strong all the way (except for one dark moment at 130km when I wanted to go home ha-ha).

Have had another solid training week, with a 10km run in 41:59, so another PB, but will now lower the run volume even more, keep to a minimal as rest days are in pain.

I have also got a new set of wheels for the bike ready for Ironman Wales; treat from me to me, Thanks!!

I am now feeling more confident about this Ironman, although a little disappointed with injury, but what’s done is done, bring it on!!

Happy training everyone!!





No comments:

Post a Comment