Wednesday 5 September 2012

Llanelli Olympic Triathlon Race Report


I was very much in two minds about this event when I entered a fortnight ago. On one hand I thought it would be an excellent fast race and good last minute prep before 2 week taper for Ironman Wales. Then on the other hand, I feel Olympic distance is the toughest (even though this was my first Oly race) as it’s a long way to go full steam ahead. So I was excited but also apprehensive.

It was also a good route to test my new wheels on, exposed and windy down Burry port and Kidwelly flats area. Llanelli also holds some demons for me as I had a DNF in my first ever Tri at Llanelli (didn’t know how to change an inner tube, even though I don’t know If I actually carried a spare). In 2011 and 2012 I missed the Llanelli Sprint through injury, so thought jump in for the Olympic, why not!

Race morning had arrived and the weather was awful, heavy rain and cloudy mist everywhere. Is at in the kitchen eating porridge wondering whether or not to just go back to bed. However, I did not and drove down to the race.

I was not surprised to see spectators in winter coats and some even in wellies. I racked my bike and ensured my kit was laid out in transition nice and tidy so that I could be smooth in transition.

After a while of faffing about and waiting around I got into my wetsuit with all the other competitors and headed into the North Dock for a warm up, and was surprised that the water was warm, strange! A sunny day during the week it was knobbling!

The horn sounded and we were off, mass start, around 90+ people apparently. I immediately got into a nice rhythm, without exerting too much effort and blowing out early. At the end of the first lap I could see a hand full of people in front and a lot of people behind with some clear water in between, I was having a good start J
I was also cut up by my mate Phil on the turnaround buoy who saw me coming and said to me later that he wasn’t letting me pass and wanted the racing line, I’ll have him back another time. The 2nd lap was uneventful, good rhythm, exiting the water in 24:13, in 23rd place, running past Phil just before the mat, Ha-ha sucker!!

However my smile did not last long as he was 3rd quickest in T1 while I took 53:60 (17th).

I hopped onto the bike just as it absolutely lashed down with heavy rain! Glasses were a no so I squinted and ploughed onwards! I was feeling amazing at the 5km mark and had already passed a number of riders, and only being passed by 1 myself. Even passed some disc wheel dudes, whey hey!! Have that in your pointy hat! Got to the turnaround point down past Kidwelly and counted the numbers passing me in the opposite direction (saw Phil in 8th place) and only 16/17 riders passed. Again, I gave the bike everything which was my intention, keeping a high cadence but flying on some parts holding 40kph. It must be the nice wheels J
I finished in 1:09 (12th fastest split of the day), 3 mins faster than my recce during the week.

I completely cocked up by dismount as forgot to unclip one shoe, but took my foot out of the other, so came into T2 looking like a 5yr old on a bike whose dad has just let him go and he has no brakes! Even the nice lady marshal had a chuckle at me.

T2 was fairly swift, 0:32 and 23rd fastest, not the best but still.
In my head in the run up and on the day, I was to take it easy on the 10km run as I didn’t want to aggravate my injury before Wales, however after 2km I felt good and was holding a steady and rather unexpected pace of 4:30-4:40/km. I’ll have some of that! Passed 1 runner early on, while another runner eluded me until at the 5km turnaround my mate Andrew told me he was struggling and to catch him! It’s amazing what a few words can do for you, as this last 5km now became about not getting passed but also overtaking the guy in front. At around 6.5-7km mark id closed the gap to 200m or so and kept it that way, his technique was fading and he kept checking over his shoulder. At the 7.5km point we rounded the cone together and both grabbed water. I slung mine all over my face and made my move! I kicked straight passed him and he said ‘you bastard I knew you would do that’, So I pushed on hard, clocking 3:55-4:05/km over the few hundred yards, took a look over my shoulder and he was broken, Yes!! I felt like a pro, just wish I could run faster J
Anyway, the final 2km I covered in less than 8:30 and pushed on to finish fast.

In my head I was hoping for top 15, then Andrew told me he thought I had 10th place (excluding a relay team), which later turned out to be right! My first top 10 finish, I was very pleased, no niggles or pain, and overall probably had my best race ever.

Splits: 24:13, 1:09, 42:56 – 2:17

So no its 11 days to go until the BIG ONE!!!! I am very excited now and enjoying the taper, will be watching my weight and then carb loading in the last 5 days before the event.

Hope to see many of you there down in Tenby!! And let’s all wish for good weather J






1 comment:

  1. Great report. It's good to hear that your injuries seem to be behind you

    ReplyDelete