Saturday 11 August 2012

35 days to go!!!!!!!

Well its been a good 2 months since my last post. However, it has not been a great 2 months, I have had to grin and bear it and carry on!

Not a lot has changed, I am still having knee trouble (got a lot less), but now have tendonitis in the groin area from tight Psoas muscle and TFL. It will not get better until I rest, which I will not be doing until September 17th!!!!

Training wise I have been slowly increasing my volume, mainly on the bike and swim areas, and limiting my runs to 1-2 per week, if its just 1 run then its a longer run.

This week, having 6 days off I took advantage of the nice weather and planned a higher volume week. Bike mileage has been good, threw in a brick session and double up on swim/bike days!
I did a 25km run (planned 30km), with no nutrition or water in 24degree heat, needless to say I found it tough, but glad I did it.

The cycling I feel I have improved the most, going out on rides with my mate Andrew and also Dan, both are good cyclists and I have managed to hold pace with them both, on flats and hills. It is on the climbs though that I have noticed most improvements, we have been hitting all the hills we can find in Gower and Brecon. Good prep for a very hilly Ironman Wales bike course. Still have not got around to doing an Ironman recce, but hope to Monday, although weather again is set to be horrific!!
I knew my bike needed improvement so I have really made an effort on these rides, although there are still 1 or 2 hills that really kill me no matter if they are early or late in a ride, maybe its all in my head.
Swimming has also improved, not so much speed but my endurance, completing 3km swims relatively easy, and if i'm honest I could definitely push to shave a minute or two off these swims. As for wetsuit swims, well I have really left it late to practice these, so may drift away from the pool for a while and focus on OW swims to get use to doing the distance in the wetsuit.

This year I have not done enough actual races as I would like due to injury. I have only done a hand full or 100mile sportive, a duathlon, mumbles triathlon (as a relay team which we won:)), Llanelli Half Marathon, a 5km race and I think that is it. I pulled out of Bala Half Ironman as that was when knee caused me some serious grief. Although now the pain has eased in knee, its groin that is causing pain.

However I have entered for the Tuska sprint triathlon next weekend just to get some race practice and OW swimming in group done, I have no time in mind however I will be dissapointed If my bike leg is not competitive (for me anyway). Run wise I have no aspirations, thinking circa 21-22:30 for 5km and the swim depending on conditions would like a PB.

Sponsorship is also going well, £544 now raised for Help for Heroes, there is only 5 weeks to go so please donate if you can: www.bmycharity.com/robcrabtree

Also, being a bit of a tight wad, I finally coughed up and bought a new pair of cycle shoes (had mine for over 2 years now and used for commuting, racing and training so are slightly tatty. Will still use them for sprint tri's but the new specialized ones are for dry days only and long rides :-)

Having seen an osteopath, I have also been  told i'm no where near being a pronator, and to bin my pronating shoes and run in neutral shoes, which I have. Admittedly I have not noticed much of a difference, but the lighter neutral shoe makes me focus on technique a lot more. Again, my injuries will not heal until I rest, so it will have to take a back seat.

I have figured that I will take a 10-12 day taper for Ironman Wales, so I still have at least 20 days training to go, which will be mainly shorter rides and runs, but probably at faster speeds, although I am mindful to not overdo it!
I have not followed any plan for this race, I have gone off my own initiative and using my knowledge as a personal trainer and Sports Scientist, all sessions I have made up or just gone out and rode hills, or gone out and ran far etc, but have been careful in selecting my pace etc. I have however found the Don Fink plans helpful for swims, I followed these to the letter as I have no idea how to improve swimming otherwise.

We will see on September 16th whether or not it was a good idea to self train for this race. I did find though that doing my own thing was far easier than sticking to a plan, especially with work patterns and other commitments.

Being a bit of a geek (I love lists), I have sat down and planned out what equipment ill need for teh race and where all my nutrition will be stored etc and a nutrition plan for the full day. I don't want to chance anything on the biggest race I have ever done, no mistakes aloud, or else Ill have let myself and everybody else down. The service men and women of this country are heroes and put their body's and lives on the line every day, I can withstand a few hours of pain to raise money for them surely?
I have also planned out my final week of nutrition, Carbohydrate loading coupled with a decrease in fibre and increased salt intake. All with the goal of increased energy stores and salt stores to offset sweat loss.

Already I am thinking about next year, Cotswolld's 113, Ironman Lanzarote and much more, but do not want to keep up this training injured, and at the moment I cant see it getting better, but If I allow myself Oct-Dec to rest, maybe, just maybe I can do it all again next year. They say once you do one Ironman you have the bug, well we will see :-)

So, 35 days to go, squeaky bum time!!!! See you all there!! 


No comments:

Post a Comment