Tuesday 1 May 2012

Out with the old......In with the new!


I have been quite busy since my last post. Training has gone pretty well, although I need to get my dairy air in the pool more!! And get some open water swimming done, 39 days left until Bala Half Ironman race. It’s not the distance that I will struggle with but just the feeling of the wetsuit.

I recently got myself a nice Giant TCR Advanced 3, 2010 model, in lovely white and blue colour. Rides lovely! And sometimes hills just feel effortless. My 2year old commuting/training bike has taken a bit of a battering, and the gearing started to feel ropey. I went out with Andrew and a few other strong riders and got spat out of the back every time; I could not keep up at all. 
So I decided to lose the triple chain set, and change to a compact. I won a crank/cassette and shifters for bargain prices. Job done right? No! 
One day I found someone selling a Planet X SL Pro Carbon frame-set (nice stealthy black frame, see picture) on one of the forums, at a pretty good price, so I thought ‘why not treat myself’? 
So, I am now in the process of building up my new winter/training bike (a bike that I can do my commute on and train on just as well as the Giant, without having to clean a pristine immaculate white frame). 
New Planet X SL Pro Carbon
I sold the old commuter on eBay as a full bike, and decided to source better components for the Planet X. I have managed to get a cracking Bontrager wheel set and Conti tyres (literally 100miles in them), with a set of 105 brake’s off a friend. The rest came from eBay and forums. And I have not broken the bank doing it. As I type this Jeremy Rees is building it up for me (as I would probably break something).

Running
As with this year, my running has been good. Recently I completed a 15mile (24km) run comfortably with Geoff. Was pan flat and we paced it just right 5:00-5:20/km or so. I also felt I had a little extra left in the tank. It was the first run ever over the 2hour mark (which is what I wanted to do), so I am pleased with my progress. I have also added some interval training and some brick sessions to simulate races. 
Intervals have been 6 x 1km @ 3:45-3:55/km with 1min rest intervals. These sessions are tough but I love them! Including a warm up, main set and cool down, each interval session lasts around 12km (last year I thought 12km run was quite tough). I have done these outdoors as I have felt that the treadmill kind of carries me, whereas outdoor you control your own pace and have to adjust as necessary.
The brick sessions so far have all been done in doors at the gym, 45min cross country programme (hilly) followed by 15min run. Average about 22km/3.6km respectively. The more I do the more my legs will adapt and cramp less.
Another thing I have added is off road running with my mate Dom (Cross country champ and off road nut). We have been hitting Gower, which is surrounded by amazing scenery, ridiculous climbs, sand dunes, tough terrain and overall makes for the best running ever!! We take in Three Cliffs, Rhossili downs, Oxwich woods and much more!! Its the only running that I love from start to finish. We have our own pace maker in his lively active and nutty dog Freddie. We did an 18km run last week, which I loved, however, being without a car has made it difficult for me to get down there this week, as I have also had to work, prefer to do my runs before my late shifts start. I think this off road running will build some strength and benefit me for the hilly run at Ironman Wales.

Cycling
Again as with running, cycling in 2012 has gone well. New bike has also helped, as has training with Andrew and Dan. Both are strong cyclists so I aim to ride with them at least once per week, no matter what distance. Always seems to be hilly routes as well which will help me. In the next fortnight we have a 100-mile ride (Tour of Pembrokeshire) and 115-mile ride (Sarn Helen Sportive) planned. Sub 7hrs is the aim for Pembs, whereas for Sarn Helen, we are taking a group of gym members and friends around, so won’t be a silly pace. I am actually looking forward to both rides, as long as it is a dry day J

Swimming
Terrible!! My swimming itself is good I think, but the volume is so poor! I have not swum in over a week!! I think this is due to me enjoying my running, and also accepting that the bigger gains can be made from running and cycling.

So overall I am very happy with my training, I can cycle and run with friends which adds motivation, whilst not being bored out of my mind talking to myself on a soggy wet road dodging puddles. In the next few weeks I plan on ramping up the training to get a minimum of 8-10hrs per week before Bala.
I really am excited for this race, as I know the distance and know what to expect. I just hope the weather is better than 2011’s race, check out this race report from organisers :-( 


Help for Heroes: The fundraising is going well, so far I have raised £365, just from the kind hearted members at my gym where I work (The Dragon Health Club). So I really do hope to hit the £1000 target by September. You can help me achieve this by donating at www.bmycharity.com/robcrabtree

Thank you all for reading! 

No comments:

Post a Comment